Saturday, July 9, 2011

SELLING OUT OUR SENIOR CITIZENS

Last night my husband informed me that President Obama has decided  to reduce  Social Security and Medicare benefits part of the ongoing negotiations over the national deficit.  Doesn't he realize that he's going to either kill off our Senior Citizens or put us all on Welfare, which will prove more expensive in the end, I would assume?


I am one of those Senior Citizens.  If my benefits were cut, I definitely would have to go on the welfare rolls.  My husband and I have worked all our lives to prevent this from happening.  But, through, admittedly, our own fault, we find ourselves in dire financial straights.  For example, we have only $6 until our next Social Security check comes on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Meanwhile, we need bread and refills on some of our meds, and I would like some pop.  We will lose our home if we can't get ahead in the next 3 years, which is a daunting task.  That too I just found out.  Why?  Because of the economy.  Because  we have not had a President in years that knows finances.  I, myself, voted for Obama.  Would I vote for him again?  I really don't know.  If the Republicans are smart enough to find the right candidate to oppose Obama, I may just have to vote Republican in the next presidential elections.  I long for Bill Clinton to be back in office!  At least we were in better financial shape under his leadership.


The following is an excerpt from an article I found at http://www.golocalprov.com/ that was written by Dan McGowan, GoLocalProv News Contributor.



        Whitehouse: Attacks Are Really Wrong

In a telephone press conference Friday, Senator Sheldon Whitehouse said now is not the time to cut programs that are so vital to millions of Americans.
“It’s pretty clear that, particularly now in this time of economic distress, attacks on Social Security and Medicare are really wrong for the country,” Whitehouse said.
The Senator’s comments came a day after he delivered a speech on the Senate floor expressing his concern over talks about entitlement programs emerging as part of the national debt debate. Whitehouse said he is firmly opposed to any cuts to these programs.
"It is my strong belief, however, that any agreement must be based on real savings and must not be made at the expense of our most vulnerable citizens,” he said. “That is why I am concerned that Social Security and Medicare have been raised as possible sources of deficit reduction. Cuts to Social Security and Medicare benefits should not be on the table.”
I totally agree with Sen Whitehouse.  Senior Citizens are important...maybe not the most important, but we are important in so many ways.  Just think of all the Seniors who do volunteer work.  We also impart our knowledge gained through our many years of experience.  These factors must help the economy, IMHO.

Instead of launching rockets (which I am in favor of in good economic times) for sentimental reasons, put that money into Social Security and Medicare.  Stop spending the poor taxpayers' money on selfish, personal projects and items.  Put a cap on expense accounts.  Giving yourselves raises is well and good, however, minimize those raises and put that money into Social Security and Medicare. Republicans should agree to change the tax structure so that everyone pays their fair share of taxes.  Would it really hurt their rich friends so much?  Think of the good it would do for most of our population.

Well, so much for my spouting off on the proverbial soap box!  Please comment and let me know your opinions on this matter.  I will listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment