Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I'M JEALOUS!

All weekend I've been reading about my eldest grandson's activities in Israel.  Marc is 17 years old and is having the time of his life, talking with young adults of all nationalities and religions while learning about his own.  The educational value of this experience seems wonderful, but it's the social aspect that makes me jealous...so far in just a weeks time, Marc has gone hiking and kayaking.  He has gone to a bonfire and a community song fest, and has been on a disco dinner cruise.  The kids have only had one day of semi-rest.  They didn't even give the kids a chance to recuperate from jet lag.

Having a cell phone to call home from is a wonderful thing.  So far Marc has called his parents to let them know his mother didn't pack the right water bottle and that his backpack is giving him problems.  His dad asked him what he wanted them to do about these problems from thousands of miles away.  Ah, kids!  They think they are so grown up.  Marc is a very smart young man, book and knowledge-wise, but when it comes to broken things, well, there is just nothing like mom and dad to do your thinking for you!  LOL

Ok, now that I've said that about Marc, I must tell you that I still go to my mom when things are broken.  I don't know how many times I called home with problems about things that were wrong.  So, brains and age really don't have anything to do with true independence.  Never having achieved that state, I cannot give any advice on obtaining it and helping your children to obtain it.  Oh well...

In honor of Marc's trip, here is a link for a recipe for Israeli Dates which sounds wonderful!  All Recipes is one of my favorite recipe websites.  Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment